Friday, July 22, 2011

Succulent arrangement

After being inspired by a book on succulent container gardens by Debra Baldwin, and also receiving a batch of lovely Sempervivums this weekend, I decided to compose a small succulent arrangement for our patio. One tip from Baldwin was to include a focus plant and place it off-center in the container. In this case, I picked a medium-sized Crassula ovata as the focus. Next, I grouped triplets of each variety of the Sempervivums with the larger ones further back in the arrangement, followed by smaller ones in the foreground. As for the gaps in between these, I also placed small cuttings of various Sedum, hoping they will eventually trail over the edge of the container and add some blue-green shades to the arrangement. What I found tricky was filling in the spaces between each plant with the potting soil without getting it all over the foliage. I'll need to get a soft brush to get the debris off more easily. The whole affair took about 30 to 40 minutes, including cleaning up. Hope these babies grow up beautifully!

No comments:

Post a Comment